Please donate to this critically important cause to fund the needed travel and expenses of hosting individuals and noted international scholars and artists who place themselves in great harm speaking out against the atrocities of their governments. Your contribution will allow those who cannot afford to pay for their travel to speak and be heard by a jury of peers regarding their testimonies of violence and injustice.
The National Lawyers Guild (NLG) will convene the International Tribunal of Conscience (ITC) in Mexico from August 9 to August 20, 2018. The Tribunal seeks to facilitate participatory dialogue and processes between juries and grassroots communities in Mexico that wish to hold the Mexican and U.S. states accountable for their convergent responsibilities in Mexico’s deepening human rights crisis. Thus, the Tribunal will hold special sessions in Iguala, Chilpacingo and at the Ayotzinapa Rural Teachers College in Guerrero that will center the testimonies of communities experiencing impunity and human rights violations. These testimonies will form the basis of a motion of contempt against the Canadian, Mexican and U.S. governments for their failure to take effective actions in response to the recommendations adopted at previous hearings regarding these issues held in New York in September 2015 and in Mexico between 2011 and 2014. Moreover, the tribunal will include the contributions of cultural workers drawing upon their experiences with tribunals of conscience, truth commissions, and non-western processes of healing and reconciliation to address the holistic needs of those testifying on the ground. This tribunal comes at a critical juncture for communities in both Canada, Mexico and the U.S. who are experiencing the effects of xenophobia, bi-national militarization, impunity, and economic marginalization. Your contribution to the tribunal whether as a convener, member or fiscal sponsor will be an expression of solidarity with communities in defense of their human rights.
Donations to the Tribunal will allow us to fund the needed travel and expenses of hosting individuals and noted international scholars and artists who place themselves in precarious circumstances by speaking out against the impunity and human rights violations committed by their governments. Your donation will allow those who cannot afford to pay for the travel to speak and be heard by a jury of peers regarding their testimonies of violence and injustice. Moreover, your donation will allow us to provide technical and media support in creating a tri-national dialogue regarding the implications of U.S. aid to Mexican and Central American governments. We intend to publish and widely disseminate the findings of these hearings to the public in both English and Spanish as well as continue supporting communities on the ground in Mexico. Below you will find more information.
Three Ways You can Support this Tribunal:
1) Participate in the August 9 to August 20, 2018 Tribunal Delegation to Mexico—write firstname.lastname@example.org for more details, or register HERE.
2) Support this important project with a tax-deductible contribution by pressing HERE, or become a fundraiser for the Tribunal by pressing HERE.
Examples of allocation of donations/logistical contributions:
1) Donations/Contributions of lodging and event space (hosting members of the Tribunal´s jury and staff in your homes or hosting a house party to raise funds) in Mexico City August 9, 16 or 19. Email email@example.com
2) The international and domestic travel expenses of tribunal jurors, human rights scholars and practitioners, and community members that wish to participate in the hearings. Donate HERE.
3) Spanish/English/Indigenous translation and interpretation services (including equipment) in Mexico. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
4) Design and printing (posters, flyers, promotional postcards or bookmarks, programs, background material) services or materials for Tribunal. Email email@example.com
5) Media expertise and assistance regarding the documentary evidence of the Tribunal hearings and continued work afterwards. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
6) Donations of music, poetry and other artistic mediums for fundraising.Email email@example.com
Please go to the Volunteer page for additional information on volunteering and to follow-up on in-kind donations. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
It must be noted that there are no court costs or legal fees associated with the Tribunal. The Tribunal is free in order to remove barriers for participation of communities defending their rights. Moreover, we realize that an independent Tribunal is not only crucial for the progress of human rights in Mexico and Central America but the immediate support of human rights defenders who lack the guarantee of security and physical integrity. Without your support, we would not be able to do the work that communities on the ground are asking for. Every donation makes a difference. Thank you.